Today is a holiday in Germany celebrating their reunification 18 years ago
(Oct 3, 1990).
Because it was a holiday, I had finished my meetings shortly after lunch today and came back to my room to do some email for work. I even finished that quicker than I expected to, so I decided to take a walk to make sure I knew where I would meet some friends for brunch on Saturday. I didn't expect to spend too much time out walking...
Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip...
I thankfully had my walking shoes on, my leather coat, umbrella and felt hat, because I hadn't even gotten across the bridge over the Rhine when it started to rain. And then what did I see? Pea-sized hail...but smart guy that I am, I had my umbrella and hat!
The weather started getting rough...I was certainly going to keep it short if this weather kept up...maybe just three hours...yes, a three hour tour...
But as you can see, things did get better. The overcast broke, the sun peaked out, and I kept walking...taking pictures and enjoying the sights. I discovered that I was right the first time and what I previously said was the Town Hall was indeed Saint Martin's Church.
I also saw the Church of the Antonites which was originally built between 1350 and 1384, and although damaged in WWI and WWII (refurbished and added on), it still has its original foundations, floor and several walls.

Then I found the original Roman West Gate to the city of Cologne. It like wise had been rebuilt and added on to, but had its foundations and was impressive none the less.
No phones! No lights! No motor cars! Not a single luxury,
Like Robinson C-ru-soe, I was flat out of money...
I began to wonder what I had gotten myself into! Well, with it being a holiday, and overcast with the rain starting again...oh, and did I mention getting dark...I got my east and west switched. Needless to say, 30 minutes later, I was very thankful to stumble across a Metro stop with a map labeled with a big red bulls-eye saying "SIE SIND HIER" (You are here, dumbkoph). Unfortunately, this only confirmed my greatest fear...my east and west were indeed reversed.

Too bad Gilligan and the crew didn't have a MasterCard and the good fortune to find a cabbie who spoke just enough English...
Me: DOM?
Cabbie: Yes
Me: Credit card?
Cabbie: No...bank machine!
Me: Yes!
I had made it...

(Oct 3, 1990).
Because it was a holiday, I had finished my meetings shortly after lunch today and came back to my room to do some email for work. I even finished that quicker than I expected to, so I decided to take a walk to make sure I knew where I would meet some friends for brunch on Saturday. I didn't expect to spend too much time out walking...
Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip...
I thankfully had my walking shoes on, my leather coat, umbrella and felt hat, because I hadn't even gotten across the bridge over the Rhine when it started to rain. And then what did I see? Pea-sized hail...but smart guy that I am, I had my umbrella and hat!
Then I found the original Roman West Gate to the city of Cologne. It like wise had been rebuilt and added on to, but had its foundations and was impressive none the less.
As it was now getting on to supper time, I considered myself fortunate to stumble upon a Subway Sandwich store...just like ours in Kansas, except they didn't speak much English. But I used the point-and-smile technique to get just want I wanted.
Unfortunately, I was down to mylast 3 Euros...and did I mention that it was getting dark?
No phones! No lights! No motor cars! Not a single luxury,
Like Robinson C-ru-soe, I was flat out of money...
I began to wonder what I had gotten myself into! Well, with it being a holiday, and overcast with the rain starting again...oh, and did I mention getting dark...I got my east and west switched. Needless to say, 30 minutes later, I was very thankful to stumble across a Metro stop with a map labeled with a big red bulls-eye saying "SIE SIND HIER" (You are here, dumbkoph). Unfortunately, this only confirmed my greatest fear...my east and west were indeed reversed.
Too bad Gilligan and the crew didn't have a MasterCard and the good fortune to find a cabbie who spoke just enough English...
Me: DOM?
Cabbie: Yes
Me: Credit card?
Cabbie: No...bank machine!
Me: Yes!
I had made it...
So...
Walking in the rain to see the sights of Cologne...
4 hours
Cab fare back to where you can see your hotel...
9 Euros
Sharing a fun story with friends...
PRICELESS!
Let me know!

6 comments:
it sounds like it was quite the trek! the pictures of the roman gate are great... love that stone work!
no girls we are not lost...we're on an adventure. ahhh...traveling with marlon!qtflbhxs
I'm with Shannie, I love the roman gate. It looks like a fantastic trip...
At least you have good picture to show for your little adventure. Now, if only your had a scrapbook to put them in.....
The navigator got lost, that's never happened before!
Amazing what a smile and MasterCard can get you.
I think that if you look over my blog, you'll see that I never was lost. I knew where I was, I figured out how to get back, and I had a plan to do it. Therefore, I was free to choose an alternative method to accomplish that.
And I was wet enough...
Post a Comment